Friends or Foes (part 3)

Hi all welcome back, I am back more educated… In my previous posts, I have made a couple of misconceptions that Dr Coleman has named and I’d to clarify them.

Firstly, let’s look at the definitions!

Non-native species a species that has been intentionally or unintentionally introduced beyond their native range. This is inclusive of “any component of such species (gametes, seeds, eggs, propagules) that possess the potential to survive and proliferate” (CBD, last accessed 10 October 2020)
Invasive species a native or non-native species that has been established and threatens biodiversity and human health, alters the ecological balance and causes economic loss
Alien invasive species an invasive species that is non-native

I’ve foolishly assumed that non-native species and invasive species can be used interchangeably. I largely consumed mainstream media, which has a stronger tendency to use those 2 terms interchangeably, because it aligned with my belief and bias. Those popular media outlets often defied the science of invasion biology, refusing to accept the threat invasive species truly present – being one of the pivotal contributing element to biodiversity loss globally (CBD, 2020). I believe that every life on earth should be celebrated and unconsciously crafted a narrative of invasive species that supported my belief. 

Now after establishing the proper definitions between those 2 terms, what I intended to convey in the previous 2 posts, is the harsh reputation non-native species receive. Due to the common misconception that fails to distinguish invasive species from non-native species, many non-native species are feared. Although the majority of the non-native species are harmless or even generate positive effects (Extension, 2019). With the recent and relevant BLM, stereotyping non-native species to be harmful feels similar to racial stereotyping. The misinformation and stigma associated with non-native species among the public cause them to act out of fear, taking things into their hand. This can be seen in Scotland where local farmers and fishers shot down every Tay beavers in their sight, believing they are invaders that disrupt agricultural activities and serve as possible vectors of disease (Goode, 2016) when they boost the ecosystem (Ramsey, 2015).

Raising awareness regarding the distinction between non-native and invasive is a crucial step forward during the sixth mass extinction. Such misconceptions hinder the advancement and enforcement of policies for the effective management of invasive species (Ricciardi & Ryan, 2018).

However, I still believe that the positive impacts of invasive species should be talked about more because impacts are highly context-dependent. Also what if an invasive species is threatened in their native range? It is just plain cruel and ethically conflicting for me that the anticipated outcome of invasive species is mainly death. I think that I am probably experiencing “invasive species denialism” – downplays the destructive impacts of invasive species despite the existence of accurate scientific facts (Ricciardi & Ryan, 2018). I understand invasive species management is essential to prevent other species’ extinction. It’s a dilemma I face and still struggle with, but I will work to look at it as rationally as I can.

references

CBD, 2020 retrieved from https://www.cbd.int/invasive/ 

Extension, 2019 retrieved from https://invasive-species.extension.org/what-is-the-difference-between-invasive-exotic-and-non-native-species/ 

Goode, 2016 retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/science/invasive-species.html 

Ramsey, 2015 retrieved from https://theecologist.org/2015/dec/05/scotlands-wild-beaver-shoot-kill-policy-illegal-and-wrong

Ricciardi, A., Ryan, R. The exponential growth of invasive species denialism. Biol Invasions 20, 549–553 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10530-017-1561-7 

7 comments

1. benjaminseah · October 9, 2020 at 11:09 am ·

Hi Lixuan!! I didn’t realise that the term invasive species and non-native species are different too. Probably, as you stated, due to the media using both of them interchangeably.

Based on the definition. can we say that non-native species do not pose a threat to the ecosystems and when they do, their status is changed to alien invasive species? Also, are there any examples of native species being labelled as invasive species?

Looking forward to your reply and insight!!

– Ben

• glixuan · October 10, 2020 at 3:17 am ·

Hi benjamin!
      Yes, that is true, as the very definition of an invasive species is one that causes harm to ecosystems. It is crucial to not conflate the terms “non-native species” and “invasive species” as according to the Ten Rules, only one in ten of non-native species become invasive. However, it should be noted that Tens Rule is just a generalisation.
      An example is the odorous house ant (Tapinoma sessile), which have been thriving as they move from forest to city. You can check out this article to find out more! – https://ipmsouth.com/2010/11/23/can-native-species-become-invasive/

references
      https://uvminvasivespecies.fandom.com/wiki/Tens_Rule

• Joanna Coleman · October 15, 2020 at 2:13 pm ·

Hey Lixuan & Benjamin,

I’m 100 % positive I said in class that invasive species could be native although most are introduced. I also gave you folks the example of the crown-of-thorns sea star as a native species that is highly invasive. I’m a bit surprised therefore, by the Q & reply as if this is new info.

• glixuan · October 16, 2020 at 8:13 am ·

Hi prof,
          Yes you did, but I wanted to provide other examples instead to diversify his knowledge!

• Joanna Coleman · October 23, 2020 at 2:49 pm ·

Fair enough !

2. Joanna Coleman · October 9, 2020 at 2:37 pm ·

Hi Lixuan,

Good job ! You raise some interesting points in the last paragraph – the idea that invasives could be threatened in their own range, for example, is certainly worth considering when we assign value judgements to species.

I also find it interesting that you draw parallels between this type of judgement and bigotry. I mean, I don’t happen to agree that they’re similar, but that’s fine.

The one thing I want to caution you about is that in your table, you include verbatim text, which is OK since these are definitions, but you should explicitly state that so it’s clear you weren’t even trying to paraphrase.

Keep going down this path of self-discovery through the task of blogging about invasive species – I think it might even be cool to compare your pre-existing notions with those of other people. Pls take my suggestion to interview Prof Yeo & Dr Chong – I wonder what they’d say if asked what the potential benefits of invasive species are.

• glixuan · October 10, 2020 at 3:48 am ·

Hi Prof!
      Thank you so much for the feedback, it means so much to me and I totally agree with that point.
      To add on why I compared between non-native species and races, its because of the similarities in negative perceptions associated with non-natives and darker skin and vice versa.
      Yes! I am working on that, hopefully, I will be able to blog on that next week!😆