Living through utilitarianism

Living through utilitarianism

Life is never easy. Worst part is, we sometimes need to do things for the very sake of doing them.  Is it always a good thing, to do things with a clear and specific purpose? Not necessarily, I guess.

Organizational behavior is nothing different from individual human behavior, but simply a multitude of it. While I do feel that every topic covered in the module is truly interesting, and that the building and management of them, such as resilience, emotions and citizenship behavior are of vital significance, I, at the same time, feel a sense of burden, of life.

Best example is what we did for our group project. We talked about building social capital and becoming a network broker. Well, can’t possibly think of anything more troublesome, yet this is what everyone of us has to do at work place, in the social network, and “in the circus we call life”, because this will potentially benefit our career, bring more possibilities to work and life, and – who knows. When we look at building social capital and strengthening weak ties for work/career, how often will we lose ourselves? Or rather, how soon? There are just too many “shoulds”: you should find the people you met on LinkedIn, you should constantly communicate with them, you should build a unique identity… Nobody does all these for fun, or to kill time. We all do it for a reason. It’s just that we might not even realize this ourselves.

I’m not saying doing all these is wrong. It’s just sad that we human beings are compromising our basic consciousness for an overly obvious goal. It slightly makes me feel easier though, if we were to look at building social capital in the perspective of enlarging friends circle, because in this area, we do it more randomly. Random networking is less utilitarianism, in a sense that we don’t socialize with an individual for the purpose of climbing up on a particular ladder. We may or may not make new friends for personal benefits, but let’s be practical–who wouldn’t want any? Moreover, it doesn’t make much difference for people who don’t like socializing. Whatever kind of networking appears utilitarianism to them.

It’s like investment. Our behaviors are an investment to our future. We have to do certain things whether we like it or not, and worse, whether we realize it or not. “Fake it till you make it” is a statement that I assume few people like, myself included. However, I don’t like it because it’s exclusively asking us to blind ourselves, cover our true feelings and likeness of things, not because it’s not practical. In fact, I think this is the most practical saying I’ve ever heard. In life, this is real and very practical — unfortunately.

Guess it would be much easier if I shield my consciousness in the very beginning. Then I wouldn’t be trapped in the situation where I know the importance of carrying out certain behaviors, yet wonder the righteousness of executing them or ponder if I really like doing so.

Suddenly feeling I’m not going to survive when I start to work……