GROUP 4 – AMIGO
(AMICABLE & INTERACTIVE
Description of Product/ Service/ Innovation:
An interactive assistant in the form of droid.
The five different functions that AmIgo will include such as checking of medical vitals, reminders, communication, camera (real time feed) and entertainment.
- General: dog-shape, moving around, maybe can follow around. Energy comes from electricity. It uses charging system, and the droid will move itself to the charging station (wireless). There will also be an emergency or backup battery. SIZE: We specifically design this droid to not be. Customization on voice (female/male) and languages (different Chinese dialects, Malay, Tamil, English)
- Medical: BP, temp, heart rate
- The global medical robotic systems market was worth $5.48 billion in 2011 and is expected to reach $13.6 billion in 2018. ( Source: http://medicalfuturist.com/top-healthcare-companies-in-robotics) As health is of importance for the elderly, the droid would be taking the user’s blood pressure, temperature and heart rate everyday in case of the user’s acute or chronic disease. For instance, surgical, physical disease, as well as Alzheimer’s disease, which is ignored by family.- perhaps could specify more or just do some searches in case of Q&A
- If the user is suffering certain illness, the droid would preliminarily diagnose, helping the user to decide whether to see the doctor for deeply treat or an operation. – related to the communication part
- If do not need to see the doctor, the droid reserves some basic medicine for the seniors and provide the guideline of medicine.
- If it is necessary to see the doctor, the droid advises the most appropriate hospital and the corresponding doctor.
- If there is emergency, the robot could also do CPR.
- The droid also concentrates the mental or spiritual health of the user, providing psychological ways to prevent further problems, i. e. Keep daily talk and detect the change and mental condition.
- Reminders: medications, personalized voice, reminder for meal timings
- We will include a function for reminders. We are aware that the elderly will sometimes forgot what they have to get done and as such it would be important for them to be continuously reminded of the activities that they have to do for that day. For instance, their meal timings and prescribed tablets for respective ones. .
- The prescribed tablets have to be stocked for 7 days (with at least 21 smaller compartments).
- The personal touch to this droid is the voice can be customised to the care receiver’s needs and ability such as language (English, dialects, Malay, Tamil).
- Forgotten things: the droid will be able to notify the user on the last seen location of their object. For e.g. Spectacles/reading glasses
- Communication: alert caregiver and emergency services
- Button for emergency situation on the body (connection via internet or alert in other means?) – addressing conditions in which the elderly still can take actions
- Additional: emergency contact when the BP, temp, heart rate seem not right – either ambulance or police
- The care receivers are able to connect with caregiver and other people through voice/video call, 3D hologram and SIM card enables calling people
- Camera: footage. → One of the integral function of this droid is a monitoring system. there will be a camera situated in the droid’s eyes. In addition to camera as a video call device, it also functions as monitoring tool. When the caregiver wishes to see and monitor their care receiver’s, the camera will activate and transfer real-time video. In emergency situations, the camera will also activate and be transferred to the caregiver. The camera will be integrated with other functions such as the medical detector, so when for example the blood pressure spikes up, the droid will take emergency measures as well as activating the camera function. With these kind of mechanism instead of CCTV-like one, we also try to maintain the privacy of the care receiver.
- Care receivers are able to play games with the droid physically such as play tennis, or with certain person/caregiver virtually via hologram and online –reconsider cause they might not be that mobile and it’s not something they are interested at
- Care receivers are able to listen to music and dance with the droid
- The droid is connected with social networking such as Facebook, Instagram, and the other apps to make friends by chatting and those apps can be functioned with voice command
- SWOT, Pricing http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/this-social-robot-is-a-boon-to-seniors-living-alonehttp://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/20/asia/singapore-aging-robot-coaches-seniors/index.html
(some stats about aging population in Singapore & other countries included too)
SWOT ANALYSIS Strengths Weaknesses ● User friendly (see no 5)● Not only care about the physical conditions of users but also the emotional conditions
● Complete/comprehensive features ranging from many aspects of life, especially during emergency situations
● The technology used is not generally new one so it has high feasibility
● Affordability?● $500-600 for a month for a maid. (easily spend $6000 in a year)
● It Would be better to spend on the machine than a domestic helper.
Opportunities Threats ● Singapore is currently looking for innovations in the healthcare sector to cope with the ageing population as there are not enough workers to support the number of elderly.● Affordable cost: one-time cost of estimatedly $1,000
○ nursing home fees in Singapore typically ranges from $1,200 to $3,500 monthly
○ Maids: $550-570 monthly
● External threats: existing robots with similar functions (e.g. medical robots, housing robots) causing the competition.● Variable global technology environment.
- Feasibility: today, robotics technology as well as artificial intelligence are existing. Thus, we believe that this droid is very possible to make. Especially due to the nature of this droid which is only to assist, improve, and facilitate the needs of both care receiver and caregiver instead of completely replacing the human element. There are such robots available in other countries like UK and Japan. But our group is focusing on local context such as the ageing population, elderly being more isolated (allows for interaction) and the inability of the caregivers to care for the elderly while at work.
- The main way to use the droid is through voice activation. We tried to reduce as many instructions as possible considering our users. As they would not be as tech savvy as the other people. We have also focused on caregivers and care receivers perspective as we would not want to complicate their already tiring daily lives. By also tweaking it to the accent that the droid and the caregiver understand, we hope that it would be able to carry out the instructions better.
- The creativity of this product lies in the way it comprises a lot of essential services needed by care-receivers such as senior citizens and elderly people. The droid also helps the emotional condition of the care receiver that tends to struggle with loneliness, because it functions as a companion with features that make it possible to chat with the droid itself, as well as entertainment features.
- Impacts on society, economy, environment
- Society – AmIgo benefits the society because of focusing on the relatively ignored people in Singapore’s people. For one thing, for the seniors who have their family accompanying, AmIgo could decrease the pressure of the caregivers. For another thing, for the seniors who are alone, AmIgo acts as AI as well as the partner of the senior’s daily life.
- The possibility of being long-run
- Impacts on society, economy, environment
- Future Projection
- The droid is able to be expanded into more advanced medical analysis for example it will be able to detect symptoms of diseases
Senior citizens (aged 65 and above) who are mobile. They are not dependent on a full-time caregiver or need to be at the nursing home.
What Stakeholder Need Does It Address?
Senior citizens are generally isolated and lonely. Their caregivers are unable to care for them while at work.
Also, these senior citizens might not be able to take care of themselves due to various conditions that arise with age.
This will be in the context of Singapore.
How Does It Build on existing Technology/Processes?
The development can be facilitated with the robotics technology and artificial intelligence knowledge which is already in existence.
Furthermore, with the recent move towards digitalisation and unmanned automation for mundane and repetitive tasks, this product utilises the knowledge and reduces the need for human labour as well as moves towards a more efficient and effective way of taking care of individuals both directly and indirectly.
It will indeed be a positive disruptive change in the way caretakers take care of care receivers, leveraging on the aspects of AI, robotics as well as automation of activities.
Your Group’s Pledge
(What Follow up/Future Action Will You Take?)
To keep up with the interaction that elderly might lack in their retirement, we will pledge to communicate to our grandparents for 1 hour weekly.
Also, we might also take up this project and further it after this conference.
Adinda Vicky Clarasati, Airlangga University
Anh Dung Dang, Vietnam National University
Ankrish, Hindu College
Ardina, National University of Singapore
Felyncia Ng, National University of Singapore
Han Xinyi, Fudan University
Heidira, Universitas Gadjah Mada
Huang Aidan, Fudan University
Imamatul, Airlangga University
Minji, Incheon University
Mohit, Hindu College
Syed Hakkim Nisha, National University of Singapore
Woraprach, Mahidol University
Jarren Ho, National University of Singapore