Background & Scope
The demand for water is increasing worldwide. To ensure supply, water resource managers build reservoirs that are often connected to form complex multi-reservoir systems. Different users compete for the same water in the reservoirs and have different objectives, such as drinking water supply, flood protection, recreation and electricity generation. Reservoir systems are operated with the support of operational management tools. The presence of multiple and conflicting objectives and the uncertainty associated with the hydro-meteorological processes calls for novel hydro-informatics tools.
The ‘Multireservoir’ project develops tools for the most complex water systems, in order to support appropriate management decisions.
The study area is Singapore, which manages 17 partly interconnected reservoirs in a tropical environment. Many results of the study will be applicable to other reservoir systems as well.
Work Package 1: Rainfall Forecasting and Nowcasting
Part 1: Rainfall Nowcasting
The research focuses on developing the new approach for raincell translation vector, the quadratic translation vector of translation model. Since the new radar system replaced the old radar in March 2010, the new decoder for the new radar system has been developed. The translation model has also been re-calibrated to cater for the new radar system.
Part 2: Rainfall Forecasting
The study focuses on application of a high resolution numerical weather forecast study done using the Weather Research and Forecasting model. The focus of the work is in forecasting rainfall up to 36 hours in advance. Model performance at different time scales are being analysed.
Work Package 4: Multi-Objective Operational Management of Reservoirs
ADforward: Automatic Differentiation in C++ (Forward Mode)
Purpose: A first step towards implementation of Automatic Differentiation (AD) as required in MATLAB mex functions for water quantity and quality
Model Predictive Control (MPC). In the next step to the paper presented at the HIC 2010 Hydroinformatics conference in Tianjin China, DSS for Water Quality Management of Marina Reservoir System in Singapore. There simple derivative estimates were used when adding a simple Eutrophication model to models for water quantity. The two objectives were optimized simultaneously, while these would likely be decoupled in the future.
Quantity might be optimized over 10 minute intervals, while quality might instead be optimized with respect to days. In the paper presented at the HIC 2010 conference, hourly data were considered as a compromise between the two time-frames (taking actual inflows into Marina Bay from 2005).
In models coded in C mex-functions called in by MATLAB‘s fmincon, water quantity alone had approximate derivatives given by adjoint calculations. These estimates became no longer applicable with water quality incorporated.
Package: The Package is built without dependencies other than C++ (such as using WATCOM). Another software package available online, ADOL-C, would have portability issues with its dependencies.
Usage: The Package consists of a single C++ file (AD.cpp) to be included in a C++ program. An ‘examples’ directory is included with examples for a single derivative (AD1), and vector derivatives (ADVEC). Also included is incorporating AD into a C program (ADinC) or into a MATLAB mex function (ADinMATLAB).
Ir. Adri Verwey (Deltares)
Dr. Liong Shie-Yui (NUS)
For more information, please contact email@example.com
Selected Journal Papers
- Fielding, M, D. Nott and S.Y. Liong (2011), Efficient MCMC Schemes for Computationally Expensive Posterior Distributions, Technometrics, vol 53, no 1, pp 16–28. (link)
- Zhang, S. and V. Babovic (2011), An Evolutionary Real Options Framework for Design and Management of Systems and Projects, Decision Support Systems, vol 51, no 1, pp 119-129. (link)
- Babovic, V. (2009), Introducing knowledge into learning based on genetic programming, Journal of Hydroinformatics, vol 11, no 3-4, pp 181-193. (link)
Selected Conference Papers
- Anand, Abhay, Lakshminarayanan Samavedham and S. Sundaramoorthy, Towards Coordinating Local Model Predictice Controllers for Multi-reservoir Management, Process Systems Engineering-Asia (PSE-Asia) 2010, July 25-27, 2010 Singapore.
- Babovic, V. and Rao Raghuraj, Harnessing hydrological systems knowledge for improved water resource management in water stressed cities such as Singapore, Hydroinformatics in Hydrology, Hydrogeology and Water Resources, Proceedings of Symposium JS.4 at the Joint IAHS & IAH Convention, Hyderabad, India, Sept 2009, IAHS Publ. 331, 2009.
- Badwe, A. and V. Babovic, Leakage Management in Water Distribution Networks – An Approach based on Bayesian Networks, European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2011, 03-08 April, Vienna, Austria
- Basnayake L.A., Babovic V., Rao R., Water Quality Model Emulation With Artificial Neural Networks, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
- Doan, C.D., H.H. Nguyen, S.Y. Liong, and P. Reggiani, Application of Translation Model for Singapore Domain, Uniform and Non-uniform Translation Vector Comparison, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) 6th Annual Meeting, Suntec City, Singapore, 11-15 August 2009
- Doan, C.D., J. Liu, S.Y. Liong, Conceptual Rainfall Runoff Model With Ensemble Kalman Filter For Parameter And Outflow Updating, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
- Fielding, M., D. Schwanenberg, D.J. Twigt, H.S. Eikaas, J.L.S. Pinho, J.P.M. Viera, DSS for Water Quality Management of Marina Reservoir System in SIngapore,9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
- Fielding M., Schwanenberg D., Twigt D.J., Eikaas H.S., Pinho J.L.S., Viera J.P.M, DSS For Water Quality Management Of Marina Reservoir System In Singapore, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
- He, S., S.Y. Liong, S.V. Raghavan, Artificial Neural Network model for rainfall forecasting, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
- Manoj Kandpal, M.C. Kalyan, Lakshminarayanan S, A Genetic Programming based Methodology for Variable Interaction Determination in Multivariate Dynamical Systems, International Conference on Modelling, Identification and Control (ICMIC’10), Okayama, Japan, July 17-19, 2010.
- Nguyen H.H., C.D. Doan, and S.Y. Liong, Noise Removal Filter for Radar Images, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) 6th Annual Meeting, 11-15 August 2009, Suntec City, Singapore
- Nguyen, H.H., N.S. Nguyen, C.D. Doan and S.Y. Liong, Radar Based Rainfall Nowcast For Singapore Domain, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
- Nguyen H.H., C.D. Doan, S.Y. Liong, Rainfall Nowcast System With Radar Images, 33rd IAHR 2009 Congress – Water Engineering for a Sustainable Environment, 2009
- Raghavan V.S., Liong S.Y, He S. and P. Reggiani, Improving Numerical Weather Predictions over Southeast Asia using the WRF model, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) 6th Annual Meeting, Suntec City, Singapore, 11-15 August 2009
- Raghavan, S.V. Shan He, S.Y.Liong, Numerical Weather Prediction Forecasts over Southeast Asia Using the WRF model, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
- Raghavan, S.V., M.T.Vu, S.Y.Liong, P.Reggiani, A.Verwey, Investigating uncertainties in rainfall observations over Southeast Asia, EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria
- Verwey, A., The Use of Common Sense in Urban Drainage Modelling, 33rd IAHR 2009 Congress – Water Engineering for a Sustainable Environment, 2009
- Zhang, S., Babovic, V., Multiple-objective decision-support of water supply systems using a real options approach, 33rd IAHR 2009 Congress – Water Engineering for a Sustainable Environment, 2009
- Zhang, S., Babovic, V., Architecting Water Supply System – A Perspective From Value Of Flexibility, Second International Symposium on Engineering Systems, MIT, June 15-17, 2009
- Vu, M.T., S.V. Raghavan, S.Y.Liong, Application of weather research forecast model for climate change study over Vietnam, 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2010, Tianjin, China.
Selected Other Publication
- Verwey, A. and Doan C.D., On Rainfall-Runoff Parameters in Urban Flooding, Asian Water Magazine, Nov 2010, pp 18-23