The second episode

This week’s lecture started to include more content on Software Engineering, with the first portion of the lecture on the different types of life-cycle in Software Development. Personally, I really prefer Agile over waterfall, as Agile allows for modification to specifications and requirements throughout development, and most importantly less designing prior to the start of development, which I guess was better for the lazy me.

The second portion of the lecture was to me an introduction on the various useful tools for development, and I have to admit, some of the tools are really useful. Since the lecture, my team has begun using Sketch, SQLEditor and Apiary for the first assignment. Kudos to Christopher for the recommendations!

Assignment-wise, things got escalated pretty quickly, groups were formed, ideas were conceived and mock UI were drawn. Initially, each member of my team came up with an idea, and together we voted to work on our final idea; this idea seems like a copy of a famous application, but in fact it solves an actual problem that Singaporeans will face daily. We have yet to do any form of idea validation with our target audience, but we will definitely do it after our first iteration.

For this assignment, my team decided to try out Docker, a platform that supposedly makes development easier. However, to my horror, there were so many issues with the setting up of the platform itself, I must have spent at least 1 day troubleshooting the set-up. My opinion? Don’t use Docker, unless you have someone in your team who is experienced with it! Then again, we must all start somewhere right?

One thought on “The second episode

1. Agile and Waterfall (SDLC) address different issues; the purpose of Agile is to prototype fast and get fast feedback, and react quickly to that feedback. It’s great for user-centric apps, which most web and mobile apps are.

The purpose of SDLC is to understand the workflows of people, and the flow of information within an organization. This is important when you are building business applications, where the purpose of the computer system is to replace manual processes, and to create quick analyses of data for managers.