Using Blogs to Practice Grammar Editing Skills

by Christopher Harwood
Centre for English Language Communication
National University of Singapore

This paper reports on the pedagogic reasons for using blogs as a learning aid and how blogging was integrated into a curriculum at the National University of Singapore to support the learning of grammar editing skills of music students. To begin, the idea that blogging encourages learner autonomy by facilitating the practice and negotiation of meaning of ‘comprehensible output’ (Swain, 1995) is discussed. Next, the integration of blogging into the curriculum is considered and rationale given for the various pedagogic and administrative decisions that were made. Finally, the positive findings from a student attitudinal survey about blogging are discussed and a brief document analysis of the students’ blog posts in the course is given.

View full paper (PDF)

6 thoughts on “Using Blogs to Practice Grammar Editing Skills

1. Mr. Chris Harwood, do you still remember me? I was one of your participants joining your workshop in UNTAG Banyuwangi. Thanks for giving me such a compelling article about blogging. I am a new blogger and am enthusiastic about it. A blogaholic… Please support me with my pedagogic blogging. I am trying it to introduce it to my students… Congrats

• Yes, Ali, I remember you and thanks for your message. It is great you are using blogs for learning in Banyuwangi, Indonesia. I will support you as best I can – just email me when you need help. Thank you very much for your participation in the teacher training workshop last week.
      All the best,

2. Interesting! This paper enhances my understanding on more practical implementation of web 2.0 generation in classroom. Thank you Chris. See you again in Indonesia!