Creative Ways of Teaching Research Paper Writing

by Alejandro S. Bernardo
University of Santo Tomas,
Philippines

Abstract
Research paper writing remains an uninteresting and unexciting activity for many university students. They may not have realized its indispensable value in their respective disciplines and target workplaces. Hence, teachers must provide more enticing and more motivating classroom-based writing tasks to spur students’ interest in producing varied academic texts. It is in this light that this paper proposes a number of “fun tasks” that teachers may use as their pre-writing tasks, lesson springboards or enrichment exercises when they teach the rudiments of academic writing or research paper production. The use of these “fun tasks” is based on the premise that cultivating students’ interest in research largely depends on the creativity of the teachers and the appeal of classroom activities and that learning could better take place when students are motivated and when they enjoy the learning process at the same time.

View full paper (PDF)

26 thoughts on “Creative Ways of Teaching Research Paper Writing

• Thanks. In what way/s are the activities helpful? You may use the article for your thesis. It’s an honor, actually.

1. Thanks Mr Bernardo for the nice paper. Great to read your tips on research paper writing.

2. DEAR BERNARDO,
    I found your paper with Ms. Gonzales (Vocabulary Learning Strategies of Filipino College Students across Five Disciplines) very interesting and helpful. I would like to have the questionnaire you used in this study, if it is possible.
    please let me know about it by my email.

3. I have to agree with these methods. It helps students get back the pre-internet days with real research instead of paying somebody else to do the work. This will help many students overall in academics and life. Thanks

4. Andrew, your papers are very interesting. Thanks for sending the links to our yahoogroup. The activities are very applicable to ESL learners here in China; I used some in my writing and grammar class. :) My students were so enthusiastic doing the activities. More power! :)

5. Hello!

I’m so appreciative of your material–my technical writing class had a great time doing three of these activities! Right now we’re stuck on the answers for the Preciseword Puzzle. Would it be possible to have an answer key? I input my email address in the form. Thanks so much!

6. I did a similar topic for my Master’s thesis paper. I researched using games and fun activities to motivate students in the high school setting. I love your strategies. Thanks for posting this.

• What an excellent rlfeection! I really appreciate your thoughts on how we as educator’s must be the guide through the murky waters. No longer are we as educator’s the bit talking head imparting information we need to see ourselves in that role of guide, that is nurturing, facilitating and cheering our students on from the sidelines as their thinking skills grow and expand.

7. Very nicely described class room activities, Each targeting for a specific purpose, reference websites as in case of crosswords and a nice conclusion at the end make this very interesting and useful.

Thanks for inspiring and motivating through your ideas.

8. Interesting article Alejandro, thanks!

We at Blubbr really believe that learning should be fun. With our platform (www.blubbr.tv) anyone can play and create video-trivia games on anything from history and science to music and movies.

In fact, we’ve seen teachers who ask students to create games on their own, which helps them develop creativity, research and writing skills. An idea for new research perhaps?

Check us out, we’d love to hear your thoughts!
    Danielle

9. Thank you for sharing this online. I’m sure that it will be helpful in making my class more engaging and fun.

10. Great activities for teaching Academic and Research Writing to college students! Thank you very much for this! I’ve tried using/adapting your activities in my college writing courses, and the students enjoyed the new activities and approaches to teaching the lesson. Kudos!

11. Having read this I believed it was very informative. I appreciate you
    taking the time and effort to put this informative
    article together. I once again find myself spending a
    significant amount of time both reading and commenting.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

12. […] Creative Ways of Teaching Research Paper Writing | ELTWorldOnline.com by Alejandro S. Bernardo University of Santo Tomas, Philippines Abstract Research paper writing remains an uninteresting and unexciting activity for many university students. They may not have realized its indispensable value in their respective disciplines and target workplaces. Hence, teachers must provide more enticing and more motivating classroom-based writing tasks to spur students’ interest in producing varied academic texts. It is in this light that this paper proposes a number of “fun tasks” that teachers may use as their pre-writing tasks, lesson springboards or enrichment exercises when they teach the rudiments of academic writing or research paper production. Avoiding Plagiarism — Citation for Images The WorldWideWeb (W3) is a wide-area hypermedia information retrieval initiative aiming to give universal access to a large universe of documents. Everything there is online about W3 is linked directly or indirectly to this document, including an executive summary of the project, Mailing lists , Policy , November's W3 news , Frequently Asked Questions . What's out there? Pointers to the world's online information, subjects , W3 servers , etc. Help on the browser you are using […]

13. Thanks for your post which is truly informative for us and we will surely keep visiting this website. We are also in same industry and welcome you to visit our website

14. Thanks so much for this article. It will be a great help in teaching research methods & writing to my students. I really would want to motivate them in this discipline. Thank you & God bless!

15. Great references and ideas! I, too, would like the answers to the crossword puzzle, if possible, for my class! Thanks.

16. Thank you for this interesting article. I found the activities much fun but focussed on teaching specific writing skills. Can I please have your email address, I’d like to dicsuss some of these ideas with you if you are available.