The importance of English for engineering students

For non-native English users, English is very important because it is widely spoken all around the world. Knowing English allows people to enjoy their life and work no matter where they are. For engineering students whose mother tongue is not English, mastering English is even more important, not only for their academic life but also for their prospective career.

In order to master the engineering knowledge and skills better, engineering students should own the English language competence. Most of the scientific papers or journals in the world are written in English.  Most of the engineering graphs are also marked in English. Moreover, most engineering professors in various universities are also conducting their lectures in English. Hence, engineering students should at least master the basic English ability to deal with the countless English lectures, tutorials, labs, projects and papers. Finally, they have to submit their important theses, still in English.

When engineering students graduate from the college and become real engineers, they will find that English appears even more crucial than it used to be.  Engineers usually work in groups since their task can seldom be solved by an individual. The property of their work determines that being an engineer needs to cooperate and communicate with different people from different part of the world. For non-native English speakers, unfortunately, most of the engineers speak English as the first language or the working language. In order to understand and coordinate with their colleagues and accomplish their projects fluently, engineers have to speak good English.

All in all, non-native English engineering students should try hard to improve their English ability, which could help to make both their school life and career more successful and enjoyable.

4 Responses to “The importance of English for engineering students”

1. Hi Herve

I certainly share your view and understand the importance of English. Being a non-native English speaker myself, I have never thought that English is very important and often neglected it. English just seemed so foreign to me. When I came to Singapore, I found myself handicapped as I could not even understand simple instructions from my teacher. I actually ended up not doing my homework many times as I did not know that I have to do them in the first place.

Compared to my standard of English years ago, my English has already improved a lot but it is certainly not enough. It is frustrating but I have to admit English is not an easy language at all. Just like what you have pointed out, our studies require us to read scientific journals and paper in English. Also, in our future career, we may be asked to present our ideas and designs to our client in English. Hence good English is crucial to an engineer.

I will do my best to improve my English and hope that when I graduate at the end of the four years, I will be able to use English confidently.

2. Hi Herve,
    You have completed all the four Portfolio tasks and written four comments. Good work! All the best for the exams, and keep striving to improve your English!