The Digital Revolution

In Singapore alone, the cloud computing segment is expected to add 12,000 jobs locally by 2015. These numbers are provided by IBM, meaning that demand for cloud computing in the B2B space is very promising. On a global scale, cloud computing is expected to add over 14million new jobs by 2015, with revenues of $1.1 trillion dollars, roughly equivalent to 13 Facebook IPOs.

With so much digital automation going on in this decade, I find you computer whizzes extremely fortunate. I’m but a business student with only a sparse knowledge of HTML, and I feel that I’m missing out. The digital technopreneurship space is hot, and many of you stand gain the most out of it. I cannot correct or contribute any coding in my digital venture, yet I am determined to be part of this crazy trend of digital automation; by covering the business side of things, which I think is more easily picked up compared to programming.

Industrial revolution lifted humanity in the past centuries by shifting arduous work from humans to machines. The ‘digital automation revolution’ which we are undergoing will lift many more lives around the world. Administrative tasks which were done slowly and repetitively will become a thing of the past. It leaves a void in the workforce, forcing administrators to skill-up or be relegated to doing lower-skilled menial tasks. The rich and powerful who have access to IT knowledge and skills and who are able to deploy them to their advantage will get even more rich and powerful. If I’m already feeling left out, what do we make of those who are deprived of many more basic things in the rest of the world?

As much as digital entrepreneurship can create many millionaires in this era, I really wonder how the rest of the world will turn out to look 20-40 years down the road. Could digital sociopreneurship emerge, thereby distributing some of the immense power and riches down to the less fortunate? Or will we be so glued to our hedonic treadmills that we keep striving for more for ourselves, leaving the rest to fend for themselves?

References

http://humanresourcesonline.net/news/31648

http://www.facebook.com/SociopreneurshipIndia

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Justin Lee. Bookmark the permalink.

About Justin Lee

NUS Business Undergraduate, majoring in Marketing and Management Runs a mini growing tuition agency business, AceTutors.com.sg Looking for experienced recruiters to start second business =) Add me on Facebook at justin_lee_1987@hotmail.com

3 thoughts on “The Digital Revolution

1. Justin, I d not think we need to wait for 20 years. It’s already happening. There a number of efforts underway to bring about social impact, including from entrepreneurs based in Singapore. For the latest primer on developmental economics, to understand what ails the one-third of mankind that lives on less than $2 a day, read “Poor Economics”.

• Hi prof, had a look at Poor Economics, and it’s good to know that there are studies being done in this area! Hopefully all the action taken translate into real results for the world, although the Gini coefficients aren’t painting such a positive picture.

2. I think there is a trend to every hot areas. As I have discussed in other article, a few years ago, before the 2008 financial crisis, the trend in Singapore was in Finance Sector. At that time, everybody wanted to be an investment banker and business students were the most favored as compared to IT students. Again, should all IT students change their major to business, there would not be sufficient man-power to support the digital trend that you are observing right now. Therefore, knowing what you are good at and what you love to do is, in my opinion, the utmost important as compared to keep changing your mind to follow the industry trends. You may not know if 5 or 10 years down the road, the tech bubble will burst again and another area will be “hot” instead. Would you change your mind then? Trend comes and goes, but your skills will be permanent. The competitive expertise cannot be developed in a short-time.

That said, if you really love to be tech-entrepreneur, it is possible for your to pick-up programming. As you may know about Dustin Moskovitz, founder of Facebook, who has economic background. However, he picked up the programming skills by himself within a few weeks just by reading books. You can consider him a good role-model to follow.