TEACHING EXCELLENCE IN CNM

Hearty congratulations to Prof Elmie Nekmat & Mr Gui Kai Chong for winning the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award (FTEA) for their work in AY2015-16. The FTEA is given in recognition of the high level of teaching commitment demonstrated by faculty members and are based on peer reviews, student feedback and exposition of their teaching philosophy.

Asst Prof Elmie Nekmat has been with CNM since 2014 and teaches strategic communication, social psychology of new media, theories in communications and new media, research methods in communications and new media and principles of communication management.

cnm-dept_13

Asst Prof Elmie Nekmat

Speaking about his approach to teaching, he shares, “Teaching, to me, is an inexact science. I can never expect to ‘perfect’ my teaching. It is through constant reflection and experimentation that I learn how to refine my teaching and I have therefore realized that effective teaching is about constant improvement, innovation, and linking classroom knowledge to real-life experiences and impact on society. Ultimately, my quest for continuous improvement is motivated by my desire to ensure that my students make meaningful connections between theory, practice, and serving the community.

My philosophy in teaching is to stoke and nurture the natural desire in students to know and achieve. I believe that any student can learn anything given enough willpower and motivation. Teaching to me is, thus, a precious opportunity to instill this motivation and groom effective and reflective learners. I teach in the hopes that my students see the value in learning, pursue lifelong independent learning, and uses the knowledge to one day impact the societies they live in.”

Mr Gui Kai Chong has been with CNM since it started out as the Information & Communications Management Programme. He teaches Globalization and New Media, Culture Industries and Digital Economies. Apart from being awarded the FTEA, Mr Gui has also been nominated by the faculty for the Annual Teaching Excellence Award (ATEA).

cnm-dept_19

Mr Gui Kai Chong

Mr Gui says, “It has been a wonderful experience teaching at NUS. The warm and supportive environment at the Department of Communications and New Media (CNM) and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) motivates one to teach to the best of one’s ability. The classes are always very lively due to the participation of vibrant, hardworking, intellectually curious and highly engaged students. Such an academic culture makes teaching enjoyable, meaningful, and intrinsically rewarding. Teaching here is a privilege. I am thus honoured and humbled to receive this award from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. I am also thankful to the Faculty for nominating me for the Annual Teaching Excellence Award (ATEA).”

Bookmark the permalink.